My obsession this week was all about headphones. Thank you, OCD. If you spot a Google trending topic about personalizing IEMs (in-ear microphones – don’t ask me why), modding iPod/iPhone ear buds, or customizing headphones: its probably due to my relentless searching.
Mainly I wanted my set of ear buds to be a tad more “me”. After looking around the interwebs and hours perusing Pinterest, I decided to paint the Umbrella Corporation logo from the Resident Evil movies and video games onto my Sony’s.
What did I use for this apocalyptically awesome DIY? Nail polish, of course!
You could certainly use regular polish, model enamels, or even acrylics but I chose to use my Gelish UV-cure gel nail polishes.
Colors I used:
Red- Gelish polish in Electric Metal Lover, from the Magneto collection
White- Gelish polish in Sheek White
Deep burgundy black with red glitter- Gelish in Inner Vixen
Plus the Gelish “Top It Off” top coat
1. Paint a circular base coat of white. My Sony’s had sides that are more oval, so I just went with that. Cure the gel polish for appropriate time with your lamp.
2. Use a pencil to lightly draw guidelines.
3. Fill in every other triangle with red paint. Cure the polish again for correct length of time.
*Tip: I used a toothpick to lay the red down along the edges of the triangles. This created clean, defines edges.
4. Apply a clear top coat over the Umbrella logo and cure again.
5. I wanted some subtle accent around the rest of the ear bud so I used a dark blackish-burgundy to paint the sides and “stems” of each ear bud. Cure again.
6. Apply a top coat over the areas you just painted. Cure one final time.
7. Repeat steps 1 through 7 for the second ear bud.
8. Enjoy your music!
Rock on and stay away from zombies,